How can we improve Oculus Dash?

Rift Core 2.0 Destroying Performance of Steam VR Game

Please See https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/7i4ex2/rift_core_20_destroying_performance_of_steam_vr/

Not sure what the issue is - but Steam VR games have degraded in performance from an FPS perspective significantly since the 2.0 update. Something to do with how the Oculus VR Dash view interacts with the Steam VR 'Dash Equivalent'. Noticed significant framerate drops and hitching/microstuttering in Steam VR games.
Went back to vanilla Oculus Store until this is resolved.
Edit: Was downvoted for reporting this performance issue.

53 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

14 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • djriful commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am going to back up the issue by Joao Carlos. I am experiencing the exact problem in Lone Echo, the entire time I thought my computer started to act up on me, then I thought maybe the game is too heavy, I set everything to medium or even low. It got better but why my GX501 laptop with 8GB GTX 1080 Max-Q can’t handle this? I am baffled, I could run this game much higher demand games no issues. Switched back to vanilla Oculus Core fixed everything and Lone Echo back to High setting with smooth experiences.

• Artist3d commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I hope Oculus Home will eventually be a feature you can share your space with others (a la Facebook Spaces), with the desktop screen option it would be ideal to invite friends over to watch original videos and movies and share other VR related development chat. Some kind of internal text messaging system would be nice before initiating a voice call so as not to interrupt a friend's VR session. It seems that for a Facebook owned company the interactivity options between friends have been unusually slow to evolve~~~~~~. Certainly there should be an option, perhaps on the initial WARNING page to either spawn the full featured Home interface or a plain vanilla, Library application launch window to allay any fears that the interface itself is affecting performance.

• Yury German commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So just an FYI it actually got worse from the last version. I am streaming so I have a streaming computer with a stable build (Windows 10 updates turned off... so no performance variation) and the only thing I update is the Nvidia Drivers, Your Software and the Game I stream.

The performance got worse between the versions. So EXACTLY the same settings and same windows popped in to the game. I had to switch to Medium Settings on a number of things just to keep up the performance.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I want to add another voice to the mix. All outside source software has had a performance hit in beta 2.0+ when compared with live. I'm starting to get headaches from sessions of Elite Dangerous after 10 minutes when I used to go multi-hour stretches with no issue before trying the beta builds.

Hi Brandon, unfortunately performance is still not on par with classic oculus home. There's definitely a marked improvement, but not enough for me to stay with the new Dash.

I'm on a 1080TI and 5ghz i7 processor with 16gb ram and an SSD...

• Brad commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I figured out the issue and solution! When SteamVR is launched, Home is still running in the background. What I did was launch an Oculus game first, then open SteamVR on my computer, then manually right click the game on my Taskbar and close it. This ensured that the only VR app open was SteamVR, which could then load into steam games.

• Squats commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Currently Dash is making my Steam VR games suffer a huge performance loss, I'm forced to switch back to classic but, annoyingly, the Guardian walls don't show up anymore.

As it stands I can either enjoy my Steam VR library and risk destroying something IRL or playing at a nauseatingly bad framerate

• Mortolo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same here all Games in stem on 2.0 including steam Lab are have slow FPS to the point its unplayable and it was just fine with classic. I switched back to classic and the lab is better now.

Yeah same. New Retro Arcade doesn't work at all with the new Home enabled. The game starts minimised and controls don't work. If I maximise it then get about 1FPS in VR. Gone back to original Home for now

• Joao Carlos commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It’s worse for me. I had a sharp drop on fps on Oculus Home game Lone Echo. It was running smooth as butter with SS 1.5 and high, plus AA. Right after installing 2.0 no matter what setting (low even) it will stutter sometimes when panning or moving around. If this is how it will be, it is unacceptable. Games need priority in performance. I had the latest nvidia installed, so nothing else changed.

• Joao Carlos commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It’s worse for me. I had a sharp drop on fps on Oculus Home game Lone Echo. It was running smooth as butter with SS 1.5 and high, plus AA. Right after installing 2.0 no matter what setting (low even) it will stutter sometimes when panning or moving around. If this is how it will be, it is unacceptable. Games need priority in performance. I had the latest nvidia installed, so nothing else changed.

Feedback and Knowledge Base