How can we improve the Oculus desktop app?

Allow multiple installation directories

With game and patch sizes increasing there needs to be the flexibility to choose different installation paths. Sometimes I'm happy to use my hdd and others I want to use my ssd. I've already had to upgrade my ssd as I ran out of space.

This is a basic feature all other game managers have

335 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Lee F shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

37 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Icepack commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thank you for this improvement.
        I'm also really glad, that I can even change the directories of installed games.

• Andre commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same as Wayne commented. Wish we could install the Oculus software on drive of our choice. Have a rather small SSD for system, so im always installing software on other bigger drives.

• Wayne commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would also like the ability to install the main Oculus software on another drive instead of only being able to install on the main C drive.

• Damon Fabian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Got my Oculus the other day, have been downloading everything on steam. I will gladly use your market place if I can simply control where things are installed. Thank you!

• Rodney L commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks for looking into this. Just so you know, if I can buy a game on Steam and Oculus, I buy it on Steam because I can easily control where it's installed.

Tell that to the bean-counters.

• Olivier Home commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Last thing, we need like on steam a discovery of files already moved in oculus library folder.

We have to download the games to get correct install, can we earn some times & bandwith please ?

Just need to move folder's game to HDD or SSD library & click install to discover new files.

For demo & else that will be very useful.

Thanks

• Lee F commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks for the update Lucy. Look forward to this being a option

• Robbie Cartwright commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Absolutely incredible that you guys have begun working on the solution for this one!
        I know it was one of the big downsides when Rift first came out, glad to see this issue
        finally adressed. ^^

• Cameron Boykin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Every time I buy a new game, I have to uninstall a previous one, which is a waste considering I have a 2nd SSD with plenty of space. There's just no option to install games to separate drives.

• DblG commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Not being able to choose the install directory is a big downside about Home, as workarounds like junction points are also not working very well when games are updated. Really hope you Oculus guys pay attention to this demand, as those little things can really lower the appreciation of a great software apart from that.

• Curtbacca commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Funny, I just upgraded my system the other day and was moving things around today. It was mindlessly easy in Steam, Battle.net, GOG Galaxy, even Origin! Sadly, not Oculus... it would be REALLY nice.

• Mike Steven commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Every single person who works for Oculus should wake up every morning with a deep, burning sense of shame that they work for what seems to be the only company in the last 20 years of PC software whose installers don't offer a choice of installation directory. Every time they see a family member they should be weeping hot tears of embarrassment that they've so besmirched their family names by association with such an appalling crime against useability. Every time they consider eating they should recoil in horror at the thought of prolonging the existence of someone working for a company which can't even make a functional installer, something that is well within the capabilities of every other dev on the planet, most small children and many reasonably intelligent chimpanzees.

Or to put it another way, I agree.

Seriously Oculus, in what idiotic world is creating a virtual console with pretend cartridges somehow a higher priority than a functional installer which allows the user to choose the installation drive for each game?

• Jake commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes! YES ! YESSEYYSYESYESYES!!

Having to transfer my entire library to another drive, uninstall Oculus, re-download 2gb Oculus software again, reinstall Oculus to new drive then reinstall all games just to install a new game is absolutely ridiculous. Needs to be fixed as a major priority before more time is spent on this fancy new game selection menu Oculus Dash thing.

• Lee F commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I also raised this in the desktop app category. Might get more traction if it's ranked top in both categories!

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base